Ellen has built her practice on a breadth of experience advising creative people and organizations. Specializing in nonprofit law and intellectual property law, her clients range from universities, publishers, civic-minded start-ups and small businesses, to individual artists and academic faculty. See samples of representative engagements below.
Over the past 30 years, Ellen has served as a health lawyer at the Boston firm of Goulston & Storrs, as Counsel for Research & Technology Transfer at UMass Medical Center, and as General Counsel at Education Development Center. In her current practice, she supports clients across the U.S. and globally.
Ellen’s experience has enabled her to develop a keen understanding of the legal and business challenges facing charities and other nonprofit organizations, particularly in times of diminishing resources. From establishing corporate entities and obtaining “501(c)(3)” tax exempt status, to advising on governance, fundraising, regulatory compliance, and dissolution, she has the depth of experience required to assist a wide range of nonprofit boards and managers.
Ellen’s intellectual property expertise – primarily in copyright – extends from traditional print and photographic media to digital works, multimedia and software. She advises individual and institutional clients seeking to protect their creations and make them more widely accessible to the public, typically through licensing agreements. In addition, she negotiates strategic alliances for academic publishers and multimedia companies, as they expand their reach across the U.S. and abroad while preserving their intellectual property rights.
- Voter registration and civic engagement in Latino communities: Serve as General Counsel for a Latino organization in the US that conducts voter registration drives, provides leadership training, and encourages citizens to become more engaged in local and regional issues of concern to them.
- Establishment of an international scientific journal: Advised an international scientific society on establishment of a new peer-reviewed journal—developing publishing goals and favorable business terms, and identifying a preeminent publisher.
- Gun safety initiative: Structured and negotiated a collaboration between a diversity consulting firm and a mobile gaming company to develop a game application focused on creating a diverse workforce and inclusive work environment.
- Psychosocial support and education for those living with HIV/AIDS: Serve as General Counsel to an organization established to address the holistic health needs of those infected with HIV and to provide education focused on HIV/AIDS prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
Ellen offers a 15-20 minute
“For me, Ellen is the perfect lawyer. She is responsive, can handle high level issues, is attentive to detail and gives practical advice. She doesn’t over lawyer a problem, but she also works hard to make sure that my objectives are satisfied and my interests are protected. I have benefited greatly from her professionalism and enjoy her easygoing and collaborative nature.”
Verna Myers Consulting Group, LLC Diversity Management Consulting
- Harvard Law School (JD, 1985)
- Princeton University, (BA, Phi Beta Kappa, 1981)
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court