Ellen has built her practice on a breadth of experience advising creative people and organizations. Specializing in nonprofit law and intellectual property law, her clients range from universities, publishers, civic-minded start-ups and small businesses, to individual artists and academic faculty. See samples of representative engagements below.
Over the past 30 years, Ellen has served as a health lawyer at the Boston firm of Goulston & Storrs, as Counsel for Research & Technology Transfer at UMass Medical Center, and as General Counsel at Education Development Center. In her current practice, she supports clients across the U.S. and globally.
Ellen’s experience has enabled her to develop a keen understanding of the legal and business challenges facing charities and other nonprofit organizations, particularly in times of diminishing resources. From establishing corporate entities and obtaining “501(c)(3)” tax exempt status, to advising on governance, fundraising, regulatory compliance, and dissolution, she has the depth of experience required to assist a wide range of nonprofit boards and managers.
Ellen’s intellectual property expertise – primarily in copyright – extends from traditional print and photographic media to digital works, multimedia and software. She advises individuals, nonprofits and business clients seeking to protect their creations and make them more widely accessible to the public, typically through licensing agreements. In addition, she negotiates strategic alliances for academic publishers and multimedia companies, as they expand their reach across the U.S. and abroad while preserving their intellectual property rights.
- Serve as general counsel to an organization that produces educational radio and podcast programs focused on stigma and shame.
- Worked with founders to establish a tax exempt organization to provide for the economic and health empowerment of rural women artisans in Punjab, India.
- Handled a “cy pres” petition to permit a conservatory to modify its procedures for awarding scholarships.
- Serve as general counsel to an organization working to reduce the illegal flow and use of firearms.
Email Ellen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ellen offers a 15-20 minute
“For me, Ellen is the perfect lawyer. She is responsive, can handle high level issues, is attentive to detail and gives practical advice. She doesn’t over lawyer a problem, but she also works hard to make sure that my objectives are satisfied and my interests are protected. I have benefited greatly from her professionalism and enjoy her easygoing and collaborative nature.”
Verna Myers Consulting Group, LLC Diversity Management Consulting
- Harvard Law School (JD, 1985)
- Princeton University, (BA, Phi Beta Kappa, 1981)
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional & Community Involvement
- ACLU of Massachusetts Board of Directors
- International Justice Network Board of Directors
- Harvard Law School Women’s Alliance of Boston
- Harvard Law School Alumni Network
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Nonprofit Network